Which UK Visa should you apply for in 2022?

— Juliet Edjere

With the bureaucracy involved in the immigration system, there is a lot of information to get through before deciding on your visa. This is a quick post about the eligibility of some selected UK visa types.

For more specialised help, visit https://trymaze.com

Standard Visitor visa -

You coming to the UK to:

  • - Have medical treatment
  • - Tourism or visiting family and friends
  • - Stay with your child, if they’re at school
  • - if you’re studying for 6 months or less
  • - Work, academic or business visits for 6 months or less

Marriage Visitor visa -

You coming to the UK to:

  • - Get married or enter into a civil partnership

Family visa -

If your partner or family member:

  • - is a British citizen
  • - is settled in the UK (called having ‘indefinite leave to remain’)
  • - has settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • - has a Turkish worker or businessperson visa

Free family permit instead of a visa -

If your close family member is BOTH:

  • - be a citizen of an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • - have been living in the UK before 1 January 2021

Transit Visa

  • - Direct Airside Transit visa  if you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave again without passing through immigration control (unless exempt
  • - Visitor in Transit visa if you arrive on a flight and will pass through immigration control before you leave the UK

Permitted paid engagement visa

You must have been invited to the UK because of your expertise) - as a visitor you can only stay for up to 1 month.

2 men in yellow and black suit action figures
Photo by mana5280 on Unsplash

You don’t need a visa:

If your family member is a British citizen

  • If you’ve been living with your British partner or family member in another European country, you may be able to make a ‘Surinder Singh’ application for a free family permit. Eligible countries are countries in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

If your family member is from another European country

  • You may be able to apply for a free family permit if your partner or family member is from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. They must have been living in the UK before 1 January 2021.

For official diplomatic or government business (including transit through the UK)

  • You can apply for an exempt vignette to help you avoid delays when you enter the UK. Your partner or family members might also be able to apply.


I'm Juliet 'Hiri' Edjere, a no-code expert focused on design, business development, and building scalable solutions with minimal coding knowledge.

I document all things product stories, MVP validation, and how designs, data, and market trends connect to one another.

In our world where innovation knows no boundaries, and creativity reigns supreme, no-code is a game-changer in today's tech landscape. Whether you're a developer looking to expand your skill set or a beginner curious about creating without writing a single line of code, you will learn from practical examples, and explore the possibilities of no-code technology. Together, we'll navigate the tools, platforms, and strategies – one blog post at a time!

Visit my website →

Powered By Swish